Commemorating the History and Legacy of Residential Schools
March 27, 2020 (For projects requesting $5,000 or less)
April 9, 2020 (For projects requesting between $5,001 and $50,000)If the deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, the deadline becomes the next business day.
Type of Funding: Project Funding
The Commemorating the History and Legacy of Residential Schools component of Celebration and Commemoration Program provides grants and contributions to eligible recipients for initiatives that will increase awareness and commemorate the history and legacy of residential schools, and honour residential school survivors, their families and communities.
March 27, 2020 – For projects requesting $5,000 or less
April 9, 2020 – For projects requesting between $5,001 and $50,000
To be eligible for funding from Commemorate Canada’s Commemorating the History and Legacy of Residential Schools component, your project must:
- increase awareness and commemorate the history and legacy of residential schools;
- honour residential schools survivors, their families and communities;
- provide an opportunity for survivors, families and communities to share their stories and advance inter-generational healing and reconciliation.
- Examples of eligible projects:
- healing circle and garden, community meal, ceremony;
- healing workshop, elder presentation, speaker series;
- travelling exhibit and display;
- commemorative wall, cairn or plaque;
- educational or awareness material; and
- cultural or artistic initiative.
Who can apply
- To be eligible for funding, your organization must be:
- a band and tribal council, or other Indigenous (First Nation, Inuit or Métis) community group, government or equivalent organization;
- an educational institution, friendship centre, public library or cultural centre;
- an ad-hoc group or unincorporated body;
- a not-for-profit incorporated organization or group; or
- a provincial / territorial / municipal government or institution.
The following are not eligible: private individuals, political parties and federal departments, their institutions and portfolio agencies.
Before You Apply
How to apply
Contact the Commemorate Canada Program to request an application package.
Read the Application Guidelines in their entirety before completing your application.
You must meet all eligibility requirements and submit a complete application package to be considered for funding.