Step FOUR: Why It's Important
Why It's Important to Address BAHD Behaviour Right Now
- One third of the population has experienced bullying as a child;
- One-third of teenagers have been bullied recently and 40% of teenagers report that they both bully and are bullied;
- Almost 70% of children interviewed said they had witnessed bullying in the past three weeks;
- Any participation in bullying increases risk of suicidal ideas in youth.
- 40%, or nearly half of all Canadians, are bullied in the workplace every week. Approximately 19% of women and 13% of men reported having experienced a least one type of harassment in the workplace in the past 12 months.
- Verbal abuse is the most prevalent with 13% of women and 10% men reported having experienced verbal harassment in the workplace in the past year.
- The rate of discrimination experienced among students who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans-identified, Two-Sprite, Queer or Questioning (LGBTQ) is three times higher than heterosexual youth.
- A recent survey found that 28% of Canadians reported that they had experienced some form of discrimination since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. The data showed that Chinese, Korean, Southeast Asian, Black and Indigenous participants were more than twice as likely as white participants to experience discrimination.